Wednesday, March 12, 2008

John Daly Has A Good Time


When John Daly parties, he parties hard. Butch Harmon, a reknowned swing coach who has worked with the likes of Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, has decided to call it quits with Daly after becoming fed-up with Daly's "shenanigans." First off, I have to give Harmon credit for using the term shenanigans, I haven't heard that in years. The word from Harmon is that Daly spends more time getting drunk than he spends on his golf game. While that is not hard to fathom considering Daly's past, it's still a little disappointing. Besides watching Tiger, seeing Daly crush the ball is one of the most exciting actions of the sport. He waddles up to the tee, sets up the ball and just unloads. He doesn't spend much time checking his shot, he does a few wrist-flicks and then off he goes.


"I've let him know that after his actions of last weekend, we are no longer together," Harmon said. "In all honesty, I'm a very busy person."


The actions Harmon is referring to is where Daly hung out during a rain delay during the PODS Championship recently. While the golfers had to wait for two and a half hours while the rain fell, Daly headed over to the Hooters tent behind the 17th green at Innisbruck. Now I know if I were a professional golfer, I would probably spend that time working on my game, but seeing as I'm not, I can't blame Daly. So he went to have some fun, what's the big deal? He's a friendly guy that likes to mingle with people, I don't see anything wrong with that. Sure it's probably not the best idea to be drinking beer during the rain delay, but who am I to judge. I'm not going to say it was a bad idea for Harmon to dump Daly, in all honesty I don't know why he would be working with him in the first place. But the best part of this whole story is what happened after the rain delay.


John Gruden, who happen to run into Daly during the delay, came out when play resumed and was the caddy for Daly for the remaining few holes. Gruden, the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, had a good time with Daly, and Daly with Gruden. But Harmon was apparently not having fun, which really is too bad because hanging out with Daly and Gruden has to be a good time.


"Jon Gruden caddying, I thought it was ridiculous. I thought he made a circus out of the whole event."


That was Harmons response to a little fun. Lighten up Butch, I know you need to be focused to win and all that, but it's O.K. to have a good time. At that point in the tournament, Daly was already shooting a terrible round, so he decided to shake things up. I'm totally fine with Daly's decision to have Gruden carry his clubs. In fact I'm in total support of it, I'm sure it was quite the adventure for both of them.

No comments: